Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Some Experience Required?

In my youth, I was very fortunate to have had my college education and most of my bills paid for by my parents. And so, sitting in my subsidized existence, I would philosophize at lightning speed and convince myself that my ideas were truly original, and that I would some day be canonized, once my brilliance fully illuminated the beshadowed lives of those dull-witted old farts whom I was convinced only feigned wisdom. I also felt that they did so at my expense. 

Yet it seemed that my delusions of eventual intellectual immortality were constantly interrupted by a nagging feeling in the back of my great brain that I really had no earthly idea what I was talking about at all, and that my life led thus far was no more profound than a russet potato.

Then I got my first job in the real world where I now believe the bulk of my education actually began. I got to work with a band of truly decent caring folks who had barely finished high school, yet this educated idiot learned way more from them than from all my years in cloistered academia. In my first real job, I got to swim with sharks, get chased by a bear, perform my own music in front of thousands, step into North Korean territory, and most importantly, learn the meaning of true friendship.

And during law school, when my wife and I went hungry so that our first child could eat, I learned even more. In fact, I got to spend an entire generation happily and sometimes not so happily putting the needs of my wife and children ahead of my own self-gratification. I have no regrets. I learned how to love someone besides myself and still got to keep every precious experience.

And when I got to spend 22 years fighting tooth and nail with nothing more than my wits to give a second chance to thousands of poor souls who would otherwise have been crushed flat by a monolithic, heartless, politically motivated criminal justice system, I learned even more.  I got to keep those experiences as well.

And now, at 55 years of age, I get to start putting what little I have learned heretofore into some kind of perspective, a big picture, that I feel so fortunate to be able to begin painting, albeit by numbers, because as I have also come to learn, there is no truly original or profound work under the sun that I, as a human being, can up with. I can only mix from known colors as my mind’s eye sees fit. And those colors on my pallet come from an ocean of  real-world life-long learning in which I, for whatever set of reasons, have been somewhat successfully dog-paddling.

And for those of you who are on the beach, but have yet to take off your shoes and get your feet wet, please be advised that you have nothing to lose, but the pasty-white pallor that tells everyone a good  swim and a little sunshine wouldn't hurt you a bit!

J. Brandeis Sperandeo

10 comments:

  1. I like this one. Less ranting, more perspective and wise words for those of us who haven't been in the experiential trenches. Have you given any thought to the topic of your first book?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What in the world was your first job????

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first book will be entitled, "Why Everyone And Their Sister (and me) Should Not Write A Book, For Crying Out Loud!"

    I played Rock N Roll for the band Windfield. We did a bit of USO/Concert work before I decided to go and save the world as a public defender. My friends in the band went on for their own measures of fame, fortune, and heroics, but that is another story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I envy your experiences... It seems you've been there, done that. You are definitely not talking out your a**.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What is on your "bucket list?"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, but a good deal of my experiences predated the virtual realities of reality TV, et. al. Now we don't have to actually DO anything any longer.
    All we have to do is to watch cable/Google/email/facebook/text/tweet. These marvels keep us from having any of those awkward poignant moments that sometimes accompany actual human contact and also prevent the spread of germs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nicely said - I enjoyed the read and I'm glad you've held onto every experience :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. After having looked up the term, I don't suppose I have made a "bucket list," except maybe learning how to write a coherent sentence and then figuring out how to string the "coherented" sentences together to make a point in a way that someone might think of using to make their own point.

    As far as holding to experiences go, I am not sure that we have any choice. I would like to think that we are more than the sum of our experiences, but I believe we are in part, the sum as well. If this is true, I worry that the .com-ers may be growing into virtual people with no backbone to stand upon.

    I believe that the main thing the Occupy People are actually looking for is a real life of/for which they have been unfairly denied.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bucket List:
    1. Find happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A much better idea than mine, but harder to find?

    ReplyDelete